Happy New Year! I can’t wait to see what 2018 has in store for me 🙂
So backing up to NYE- we had the most amazing steak dinner. And, guess what? We prepared the dinner ourselves!
We decided to stay in for NYE because one, it was literally negative degrees outside and two, we just didn’t feel like worrying about driving and braving the crazy crowds. Thus, we decided to make our own restaurant quality meal at home!
We do most of our food/meat shopping at Costco or Sams Club, but we wanted the best of the best, so what did we do? We googled “best butcher in Pittsburgh” and found Strip District Meats. This place was the real deal and kind of intimating at first, but they were super nice and the service was prompt.
We gathered the rest of ingredients, asparagus etc. from other local spots down in the Strip. It was a fun afternoon even though temperatures were barely in the double digits ahh!
Scott is our resident chef, so he took charge and prepared the steak using following the method:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Let meat come to room temperature
- Brush steak with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper
- Brown each side of the steak for 2-3 minutes on the stove top on medium- high heat
- Place steak in the oven for 8 minutes
- Take steak out of oven and melt half a stick of butter in pan using the residual pan heat and spoon butter + rosemary + garlic over meat liberally 🙂
- Let meat rest for 7 minutes
I handled the Hasselback potatoes using this recipe and simply sauteed up the asparagus in butter, salt, and pepper.
This meal was hands down, the BEST meal we have ever prepared together.The quality and freshness of ingredients definitely played a huge role in the success of our restaurant quality meal. We estimated that we spent about $75 total on our meal, which is literally a fraction of the price of a similar meal at a steakhouse downtown. AND we have three more steaks left over to use in the future!
Well, that’s all for now! I hope to keep my resolution to blog more regularly!